2009/03/08

Brooklyn Museum

2009.3.7
Because my conversation partner Bates Whitney is sick today, so I sit in the cafeteria and chat with other students. But one Chinese man came and continue to talked about politic stuff, he made me so uncomfortable, therefore I decided to go to Brooklyn museum with Yuki Hiraoka.
Taiwanese and Japanese have many things in common; I like Japanese people more than Chinese. One of my Japanese classmates told me that I should introduce Taiwan to let other students know more about Taiwan, and this is America, no one can deny Taiwan, even people from Tibet said Tibet is a country.

It is my first time to Brooklyn, before, I think it is not safe to come, but I find the Brooklyn museum is so bright and organize.
Today is the First Saturday in March, so many free programs supported by Target (department store). http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/visit/first_saturdays.php

I enjoy the exhibition tour of ancient Egypt and the storytelling time.
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/coptic/
"
This exhibition presents the Brooklyn Museum's permanent collection of Late Antique stone sculptures (A.D. 395–642), including several reworked or repainted objects and some that appear to be modern forgeries. The ancient reliefs were made for use in pagan and Coptic Christian cemeteries as well as in Christian churches and monasteries. In addition to mythological and Christian motifs, these works include plant and animal designs that were apparently used by both religious groups. Sculpture of this type was little known when it began to appear on the market shortly after World War II, and remained virtually unstudied even into the 1960s and 1970s, when most of the Brooklyn examples were acquired. Gradually, some scholars began to realize that the many examples now in museums in both Europe and the United States included many modern impostors, but a comprehensive study has yet to be undertaken. For a review of the Brooklyn Museum’s pieces, a curator of Egyptian Art joined the Museum’s objects conservators, and they also consulted outside authorities on Coptic art and on the sources of Egyptian stone; much of that work is still ongoing. This exhibition focuses on the work done so far, and especially on the stylistic characteristics of the works, both ancient and modern."

The storytelling time is so interesting, Diane Wolkstein tells 3 stories about Inanna, Ruth and Judith. I like Ruth best, because it is from Bible, so I can understand it very well.

2 則留言:

Unknown 提到...

Is this article a homework of your ESL program? Is there anyone going to grade it?

Unknown 提到...

No, i started to write in english because some of my friends here can read it as well.