2009/10/04

Writing 8

2009.9.30 Writing 8
The happiest thing and the saddest thing happened to me in New York

As a foreigner living in the world’s Big Apple, New York, I experience many different things; sometimes it makes me happy; sometimes it upsets me.

The happiest thing for me is the subway system operated without any abnormal situation or accident. Then I can be on time to my office. Because I live in Flushing, the only way to my office is to take the number seven train and transfer to four or five train. However, the # seven trains always have problems and take me twice the time to get to work among the crowds of people. If I can have a seat, it is my day. I am so happy and satisfied with it.

Something upset me recently. Usually I buy an unlimited metro card for commuting. Though it is cheaper, it would be a big loss if I lost it. Besides, the metro card itself may have some problems as well. For example, my metro card had problem since I first used it on the bus, but it was fine in the subway turnstile. It bothers me so much, because I have to explain to the bus driver about my card’s problem. Most of bus drivers will say go ahead; but some bus drivers kick me out off the bus because my card does not work in the machine. I do not want to pay the extra 2.25 dollars after riding the subway home, so I have to walk home. When I asked the person working for the MTA in the subway, he just replied, “It is the bus machine’s problem, your card works with the subway machine. I can do nothing about this.” Therefore, I have to use this problematic card with a trembling heart to try the bus machine.

I like to travel; New York definitely is heaven for the traveler. Last Saturday, I went to one of the seven must see sites in the U.S.A. – The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The crown closed after 9/11 and reopened to the public on Independence Day this year.
At the beginning, I wanted to climb the crown after the summer vacation rush, but when I booked it on the Internet, I found it is not available until December. So I just bought the regular ticket to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. It took me more than one and half hours to line up and pass the security check twice. But I felt it was worthwhile. I climbed the helical staircases to the 10 floor high ground level of the monument; it is a great view to downtown Manhattan and Ellis Island. The crown represents the seven seas and seven continents of the world. I realized how great a job it was for the artists to work on this giant statue. The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France on Oct. 28th, 1886 to represent the two countries’ friendship after the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence. “It represents a woman wearing a stola, a radiant crown and sandals, trampling a broken chain, carrying a torch in her raised right hand and a tabula ansata tablet, where the date of the Declaration of Independence JULY IV MDCCLXXVI is inscribed, on her left arm. Standing on Liberty Island in New York Harbor, it welcomes visitors, immigrants, and returning Americans traveling by ship.” According to the introduction sheet.

Then I went to Ellis Island and the immigration museum. From 1892 to 1954, about 12 million people passed through this gate to America. I saw many immigrates landing with big smiles, because they came far away from their home country to America to fulfill their dream. And this is the last gate after a long journey.
This is the fundamental spirit of America, this is the place where people came from different countries and contributed to this land with their own dream. Among those who came here for freedom, Protestants came here for religious freedom, and helped the country to build based on God’s word. For example, on all the USD bills, we can see “In God We Trust”; the presidential oath ends with “So help me God”. Also the witness has to swear on the Bible before testifying in court. All prove that God helps this country to grow with prosperity as most of the people in this country believe and respect God.

Though some bad experiences have happened to me, most of them are good memories and make me enjoy my time in New York. It is time to leave; the autumn is the season of separation. And it is time to say goodbye, New York.

沒有留言: